There are a lot of things we would rather do than look at ourselves in the mirror after a restless night. And we’re pretty sure we’re not the only ones. If you’re sleeping fewer than six hours nightly, it’s likely impacting your appearance. Why, you ask? Your body actually repairs itself during sleep. Read on to learn what seven to nine quality hours of sleep nightly can do for your appearance.
1. Make puffy eyes a thing of the past. We all know puffy eyes and dark undereye circles are dead giveaways that you haven’t spent enough time between the sheets. Getting enough quality ZZZs will help minimize puffiness and decrease the appearance of dark undereye circles.
2. Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Your body produces collagen while you sleep, which helps prevent skin from sagging. The more you sleep, the more collagen your body produces, making skin plumper and less likely to wrinkle. Sign us up!
3. Get your glow on. A natural increase in blood flow occurs while you’re asleep. Clocking more time snuggled under the covers is an easy way to contribute to a healthy, radiant complexion.
4. Maximize the efficacy of your skincare products. Your skin gets to take a break from defending itself against the sun while you snooze. Consistent blood flow during this time (are you sensing a theme here?) helps your skin get the most out of your beauty products.
5. Put on a happy face. After a lackluster night of sleep, the corners of your mouth can droop, making you look more melancholy. We kid you not. Sufficient hours of quality sleep can actually contribute to a happier appearance. Turn that frown upside down.
6. Make every day a good hair day. Skimping on sleep can stunt hair growth and contribute to loss and breakage. Hair follicles receive nutrients, vitamins, and minerals from the natural increase in blood flow during sleep. Make bad hair days history.